UB Poker for Ubuntu
written by: John
UB Poker, formerly known as Ultimate Bet, is a reputable poker site that includes players from the US and the rest of the world. Currently, UB Poker offers downloadable software that is compatible with both Mac OS and Windows. However, UB Poker does not offer software that runs natively in the Ubuntu operating system. Ubuntu is a specialized open-source operating system that, though limited in distribution, offers users an extremely high level of customization. Because of this, it's possible to get the Windows version of UB Poker running on an Ubuntu computer.
Installing UB Poker Ubuntu
In order to make UB Poker playable under the Ubuntu operating system, you'll need to download a third-party application. This is a relatively simple process, and most all Ubuntu users will be comfortable performing the installation. Follow these steps to begin playing UB Poker Ubuntu:
- 1. In Applications, select the Ubuntu Software Center.
- 2. Enter the word "Wine" in the upper right search box. Wine is an emulation program that can be used to run Windows applications within Ubuntu.
- 3. Wine should appear in the search list. Click on it, and then click Install. This will download and install the Wine application.
- 4. Click Finish to complete the installation.
- 5. Direct your web browser to UB.com. From here, you can download the Windows version of UB Poker.
- 6. Install UB Poker under Wine in the Applications folder.
In order to play UB Poker Ubuntu with real money stakes, you'll still need to create a UB Poker account and make an initial deposit. Your gaming experience with UB Poker for Ubuntu will be very similar to playing natively in Windows, though some users experience minor glitches and graphical errors.
Instant Play UB Poker Ubuntu
If you'd prefer to avoid installing new applications on your Ubuntu computer, or if you're simply uncomfortable running an emulation program, you might consider playing the Instant Play version of UB Poker Ubuntu. This is a limited version of UB Poker that runs directly in a compatible web browser, regardless of operating system. Using Instant Play UB Poker on Ubuntu is generally easier than installing the application under Wine. However, Instant Play UB Poker has fewer features than the downloadable version. Some of the missing features include:
- Tiling and cascading table views
- Alternate table views
- Hot keys
- Multi-player blackjack
- Favorite seat options
- Instant hand play
In addition, the Instant Play version of UB Poker only supports Texas Holdem tournaments and all ring game types. Omaha and Razz tournaments, for example, are not accessible with UB Poker Instant Play. Alternatively, you can gain access to the full range of game types and features available at UB Poker by installing UB Poker Ubuntu under Wine.